Quick spot check about construction employees. Are they doing the job you hired them to do?
- Are jobs getting done on time or ahead of schedule?
- Do they show up for work on time?
- Do they keep the morning and afternoon breaks to 10 minutes max?
- Do they spend time talking to the customers that should be spent working?
- How much time is being logged on their mobile phones?
- Do they always carry the right tools to get the job done?
- Do they keep necessary materials on their vehicles to minimize trips to the supply houses?
- Do they think ahead to have the right materials on the job so time is not wasted waiting for materials to arrive on the job site?
If they are not diligent about these things, they could be costing you money instead of making you money. Stay on top of this issue – maybe a short company meeting to discuss issues, or perhaps a private discussion with certain employees. And if you don’t have an Employee Manual in place to establish and communicate the ground rules, create one soon.