An accurate estimate is the first step in selling and building a profitable job.
When you know how to estimate a job properly, nothing is forgotten. In these construction estimating training classes taught by Michael Stone, you'll start with a small job (under $12,000) and build skills as the jobs become more complex ($1.2 million remodel). Michael has taught estimating to contractors in 44 different states and Canada.
The Profitable Estimating class is 12 hours of training, but it isn't just videos. The ability to estimate a construction job is a skill developed with practice. That's why we provide pdf files of blueprints for each job, along with numerous photos, and encourage you to work through each estimate.
The Profitable Estimating training classes are available in DVD format for viewing on your computer and are also available as an online estimating class. Upon purchase, you will receive a username and password to access the classes immediately while you wait for the DVD package in the mail. We've included all the forms you need, along with a number of checklists. These forms and checklists will become your basic tools for all your estimates long after you're finished with the classes.
You will see each estimate compiled by hand (pen and paper) and using the Fast Track Estimating software. If you use a different estimating software, that's okay. The classes teaches a system, a mindset, that works regardless of how the final estimate is compiled.
Links to access the training in a secure section of our website will be provided to ALL purchasers. Choose the "download only" option if you don't want to incur shipping charges for the DVD.
The DVD is designed to be viewed on a PC - instructions are included for viewing on a Mac. The online training can be viewed on both a PC and a Mac.
How are the classes structured?
The Profitable Estimating Training is separated into 12 classes:
– Class 1, An overview of the estimator, the company, types of estimates and estimating procedures
– Class 2, Doing the takeoff, forms, more on estimating procedures
– Class 3, Estimating a small bathroom remodel ($10,000 – $12,000)
– Class 4, Estimating a medium bathroom remodel ($96,000 – $98,000)
– Class 5, Estimating a kitchen remodel ($75,000 – $78,000)
– Class 6, Estimating a medium addition with kitchen remodel ($275,000 – $280,000)
– Class 7, Part 2 of Class 6, Estimating a medium addition with kitchen remodel
– Class 8, Estimating a two story addition with garage ($320,000 – $330,000)
– Class 9, Part 2 of Class 8, Estimating a two story addition with garage
– Class 10, Estimating a whole house remodel ($1,280,000 – $1,290,000)
– Class 11, Part 2 of Class 10, Estimating a whole house remodel
– Class 12, Wrapping it up
And includes the following forms:
- Checklists for kitchens, baths, additions and whole house remodels
- Pre-sales call checklist
- New Job checklist
- Post job checklist
- Punch list agreement
- Selection lists for kitchens, baths, additions and whole house remodels
John Kelso replied on 02/27/10:
I have a Construction Management degree from the University here in Seattle and took a three month course in "stick" estimating as part of the degree program. I can say without reservation that Michael's presentation is better. Listen to what he says, "stick" estimating is old school. The systematic approach he advocates is a real time saver with no compromising of accuracy. You also get the benefit of Michael's real life experience of decades in the construction industry.
Jason Scheurer replied on 03/01/10:
As a business owner and one that needs to be schooled on every aspect of the the Remodeling Industry, I personally had the opportunity to sit in on this class as it was being presented. In my opinion, if you want to learn the laws of estimating and bidding accurately, then this is the system to invest your time and money into. I have had other software estimating programs, but this hands on class goes above and beyond any of the programs I have ran across. This a step by step training modular that will teach you the basics, and then well into becoming a professional estimator. Don't just take my word for it, buy it yourself and see why so many others have made the right decision also.